Gondola (or gonjala in local terminology)

Hi, all,

First timer to TBF and first post to the forum. We’re staying in mtn village and I’d like to know more about logistics for getting on and off gondola. Will it be a zoo getting on after nightgrass? Any other options for getting home? Also, from my RockyGrass experience (last year, as a volunteer), I noticed that the best way to ferry gear (cooler, seats, canopy, etc) was via kids wagon. Can these be taken on/off gondola with relative ease? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance for any/all tips…

I think you’re good on the kids wagon. The gondola is pretty large.

In terms of nightgrass, it’s not so much that it will be a zoo but that I think that it stops running at 2am…and most of the shows end a bit after that…so I guess if you don’t mind leaving a few early. Last year I was with a friend who had that issue and had to get back to her kid in mountain village and she was sprinting to get to the last gondola from the Greensky nightgrass show.

:wave Keep in mind that the gondola is constantly moving so any wagons will have to be able to be picked up and put in it rather quickly, both getting on and off. So, make sure you have a couple of friends to lift it up in there and out. Have a wonderful time while you are there. It is amazing. Where are you coming from?

There are five of us. I’m from Denver, others from OR, PA, MD and MA! I volunteered at RockyGrass last July and had an incredible time w/ first taste of a PB festival. Gave me a bit to go on for TBF but I know there’s a lot to learn. I’m on the fence about wagon, but then we’d have to lug cooler around. Thanks for the tips!

I can say that it’s easier to avoid going back and forth to Mtn village multiple times per day - even though it’s a pretty short ride it still takes time and is a few blocks from the festival. I’ve stayed there years ago and found it was easier to have everything packed for the day so a wagon might be the way to go.

Get ready for the most fun you’ve ever had in your life!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, the plan is definitely to make only a single trip down each day. There will be just too much to take in and enjoy to leave at any point! We are all totally stoked and can’t wait to start the festivities!

First timer here too pwdrhall. I can’t wait!! Woot! :wave
The collapsible/fold-able wagons would probably also work nicely for the gondola action. About $60 these days at Dicks Sports, Academy, etc. I got one a couple years back and its been indispensable for festivals. Hauling gear, water, kids, etc.

Great tip on the collapsible wagon, Alrghtgy! I had another question about gondola- it looks like there are 3 stops betw Mtn Village and downtown. Are riders required to get on/off 3 times to get back and forth or are these just stops that riders can choose to get on/off or not?

Dialin’ it in one day at a time!

Get off wherever you want.
If you want to ride it round trip just to see the view, that’s fine. :thumbsup

There are more than one Gajala. The main one takes you from town, to the top, then down to Mountain Village. From there you jump another to get closer to your destination. But no, you don’t have to get on and off. Just let the doors open and close by themselves while you cruise thru the building at the top.

There is one station out by the parking garage. If you are parked there and ride it to Mtn. Village, then yes you will have to get off and then go over to the next section. Short walk.
However if you are staying in Mtn. Village, you will get on there. It takes you up to Station St. Sophia where you just stay on, unless you are getting off for Allreds’s Restaurant. It then drops down into the town of Telluride, and Town Park is just 4 or 5 blocks away from there.

If you miss the gondola, you CAN walk back to the TMV by taking the river trail in town heading West, then at about where the Shell station lines up, you take a left (south) on Boomerang … which beings a steady climb up. Nothing technical nor is it an over-the-top workout, but it is moderately strenuous & a headlight would help if the moon is not out. From the Gondola station in town to the Peaks I’d say it’s about 60-90 minutes … depending on your pace.

Awesome info, everyone, thanks so much. I can just imagine having too much fun at Nightgrass, forgetting to catch the time and then having to stumble up to TMV at 3am. We probably wouldn’t be alone, maybe some pickers along the way to keep us entertained, can’t have enough fun, right? Now I need to get to work on sleep deprivation training.

This fellow first-timer is following along… I’m nervous/excited for my first gondola ride as well :wave

Here’s a question… I’m staying at the High School campground which opens at 3 on Wednesday, and FirstGrass starts at 5 on Wednesday. I’m assuming I’m going to be in an enormous hurry?

By Wednesday, you’ll probably be directed to park up in the parking structure in Mt. Village anyway, so unload, get set up, then drive up to FG. If you’re doing it right, you won’t need your vehicle again for the next four days, just sayin’. You won’t want to work that hard, that fast, just to go stand in the monstrous ganjala line. (always a long line for the FG ganjala) :cheers Enjoy! :medal

Swander is right. Plus right before Frist grass there is usually a huge line from town. You’ll bypass that when you drive up to Mt. Village. And your ganjala from the parking lot goes right OVER First Grass!

=completejohn link=topic=26671.msg124668#msg124668 date=1463168231]
Swander is right. Plus right before Frist grass there is usually a huge line from town. You’ll bypass that when you drive up to Mt. Village. And your ganjala from the parking lot goes right OVER First Grass!
[/quote]
But…dont let the long line for the gondola worry you cause, it is pretty quick and the line up is FUN. People are super friendly, we all chat and joke around…it seriously isnt like any line ( or queue as we say!) anywhere else. Just chill and enjiy the festi vibe. Peace, love and cool music, friendship awaits…is it here yet? :wave :wave :flower :flower

But…dont let the long line for the gondola worry you cause, it is pretty quick and the line up is FUN. People are super friendly, we all chat and joke around…it seriously isnt like any line ( or queue as we say!) anywhere else. Just chill and enjiy the festi vibe. Peace, love and cool music, friendship awaits…is it here yet? :wave :wave :flower :flower
[/quote]
Oh yeah! 33 days 'til first Ganjala!! :hop 32 for you! :thumbsup

Thanks for the advice, y’all! So I need to drive straight to Mountain Village? Can I even come into the High School campground to unload, or how does that work? I’m so new

:wave You’ll be able to pull into an area near your future campsite for unloading. After that you will be gently moved along to the nearest parking area.

:peace