Boulder County house concert regulation update

Ned Gazette review

Getting over 200 people to a theater on a Tuesday night was amazing. The Duhks played a schoolhouse in Salina Wednesday night to about 60 people. They told me they want to come back and play the LEED-certified Ned theater again!

The FLAC download will be available after May 15 on FestivaLink.net. Pre-orders for $10 (37% savings over the $15.95 via FestivaLink) are accepted through May 15 via

GreenDuhks.com

Besides professional recorded, mixed, and mastered selections from the concert (including unrecorded songs) the FLAC will likely include a bonus track from their recent Australia tour.

Local filmmaker Eric Abramson is still working on a short video funded by the Nederland concert on April 29 but here’s a short clip done by fiddle player Tania Elizabth in their biodiesel van.

YouTube Sustainability Clip

You can help fund completion of longer videos by purchasing original art Hatch prints or AFLAC downloads of the April 29 Nederland concert.

The long delayed recording from the 29 April 2008 concert at the Nederland Community Center will be released very soon…probably in the next week. We had some technical problems with the recording made during the first half so the 12 songs selected are practically all from the second set. With that much continuity though you really do get a great feeling of being there. There will be 5 bonus tracks! In addition to the “Whole Lotta Love” finale that night, we’ve added two other versions - one recorded live in Australia and one recorded at MerleFest (co-sung with John Paul Jones!). This CD quality digital download will likely be a collector’s item especially with its three versions of “Whole Lotta Love.”

For the next 24 hours, as I need to give the final list to FestivaLink on Friday, you can still purchase this FLAC download for $10 from greenduhks.com.

http://greenduhks.com/index.php?page=shop&display=Benefit_Concerts#62

After Friday, FestivaLink.net will be the only place to get this recording at $15.95. Per The Duhks, no physical CDs will ever be made of this Earth Day celebration.

Anyone purchased a FLAC, e.g. VIP package at the show, will get notification from FestivaLink probably next week.

We still have some of the beautiful limited edition Hatch posters available, too.

http://greenduhks.com/index.php?page=shop&display=Limited_Edition_Art_Posters#13

I plan to bring up state wide noise regulations so as to not single out house concerts. But she’s open to talking about anything if you want to speak your mind.

My State Representative Claire Levy is coming to Magnolia tomorrow (Saturday, 18 October) afternoon to meet with area residents. She’s been active in promoting renewable energy adoption (Resolution 1A is modeled after Bill 184 she sponsored), pine beetle response, judicial reform (re: adverse possession judge), public transportation, juvenile justice, and historical preservation among other things. She serves on the Colorado House Committee on Transportation & Energy and the House Committee on the Judiciary. She has also been on special committees such as the Ethics Board, Legislative Emergency Epidemic Response Committee, and Committee on Legislative Legal Services.

To learn more about Claire Levy’s record see http://clairelevy.org/bills.shtml

Please let me know if you are attending so I can have sufficient chairs and ice cream for you all. Actually, I know I have sufficient ice cream! :slight_smile: If it’s cold you can sip hot chocolate.

Hope to see you at 2 PM. Please walk, bike, and carpool if possible. Call or e-mail me if you need directions to my place. I’m 20 minutes from Nederland and 25 minutes from Boulder.

peace,

greg

Last March, Boulder County Commissioners approved some legal protection for house concerts but they added regulations we thought unnecessary.

http://www.bouldercounty.org/lu/code_updates/home_events/pdf/DC07001HomeEventsAmendments.pdf

Here’s a copy of an e-mail I sent Boulder County Commissioners today:

Dear Commissioners:

Last December, I brought to the attention of my State Representative Claire Levy the need for Counties to have more power for noise enforcement laws. I explained that the lack of County enforcement power was a primary motivation for a Boulder County “home events” regulation. Even though my living room concert series never had any noise, parking, or traffic complaint there were other outdoor music events in Boulder County that happened once or twice a year that generated complaints. Boulder County Land Use was always able to stop these events but Land Use Director Graham Billingsley said he needed more enforcement code support. The primary justification for a “home events” L.U.C. regulation was that the noise nuisance fine was too low for repeated offenders.

I had a chance to speak to Representative Levy when she spoke to a neighborhood gathering in my living room today. She thought Counties had been granted greater powers regarding noise enforcement (not the sensitivity threshold but fine power). She referred me to some on-line documentation of bills that passed this last legislative session. The following is my interpretation only as I am not speaking for Claire.

It appears the Colorado State legislature passed House Bill 08-1065 on 17 March 2008. It went into effect 05 August 2008. From my read of this law it seems that Counties now have the right to have graduated fines for repeated offenses. If Boulder County Land Use attorneys agree it may be worth revisiting the home events regulation - my position has always been that a specific activity has been regulated whereas it should be the general activity impact regulated by nuisance laws. It seems unfair to me that you can have as many private parties (political or charity fund raisers, for example) as desired but the same impact “home event” requires additional regulation. While I can live with the newly adopted “home events” regulations I believe it sets a terrible government intrusion precedence - unless it simply amended to indicate activity acceptance into the L.U.C. subject to general nuisance laws. It is my belief that Boulder County may someday face a challenge to this regulation based upon Constitutional concerns. (Relax, it won’t be me as I can’t afford the legal fees.)

Here’s the digest:

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/digest2008a/GOVERNMENTCOUNTY.htm#08-1065

APPROVED by Governor April 1, 2008
EFFECTIVE April 1, 2008

H.B. 08-1065 Ordinance enforcement - county noise abatement actions - ordinance violation penalties - application of ordinances in designated areas. Authorizes a county, with specified exceptions, to bring a civil action to abate violations of the state noise abatement statute. Authorizes a county to adopt penalty assessment procedures and graduated fine schedules for specified violations.

Authorizes a board of county commissioners to designate areas in the unincorporated territory of a county exclusively within which an ordinance applies. Requires the board to set a rational basis for the designation and hold a public hearing prior to making the designation.

APPROVED by Governor March 17, 2008
EFFECTIVE August 5, 2008
NOTE: This act was passed without a safety clause. For further explanation concerning the effective date, see page vi of this digest.

Here’s the specific part of H.B. 08-1065 that I believe gives Counties new authority.

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2008a/sl_28.htm

SECTION 2. 30-11-101, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SUBSECTION to read:

30-11-101. Powers of counties. (2) Counties have the authority to adopt and enforce ordinances and resolutions regarding health, safety, and welfare issues as otherwise prescribed by law. In addition to any other enforcement or collection method authorized by law, if a county passes an ordinance or resolution of which a violation would be a class 2 petty offense, the county may elect to apply the penalty assessment procedure set forth in section 16-2-201, C.R.S., and may adopt a graduated fine schedule for multiple offenses. If a specified offense would be an unclassified misdemeanor, a county may elect to downgrade the offense to a class 2 petty offense and apply the penalty assessment procedure under circumstances deemed appropriate and prescribed by the county in an ordinance or resolution.

I respectfully request that Boulder County evaluate the impact of H.B. 08-1065 and revise the current Boulder County nuisance regulations regarding graduated noise fines. Once that County noise ordinances have more teeth, I would like the County to consider modifying or dropping the “home events” regulation from the L.U.C. as the impact is no greater than any other private event governed by nuisance laws. I would be fine with legal protection via inclusion in the list of acceptable zoning activities but I do not believe any other restriction should apply since general nuisance laws cover all private activities.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

greg

Greg Ching
P.O. Box 372
Nederland, CO 8046

The Boulder County Planning Commission will be considering new Land Use Code
amendments to clarify and correct some sections of the Land Use Code
on Wednesday afternoon, July 15, 2009. The meeting will be held in
the Commissioner’s Hearing room on the third floor of the Courthouse
Building, 1325 Pearl Street in Boulder. The exact start time has not
been determined, but the meeting could start as early as 1:30 pm.

Here is what I submitted today as a comment with respect to DC-09-0006:

To Whom This May Concern:

I have two comments:

1. The proposed change to Art.17-300 which describes situations where
    building permits are not required should allow small green houses - commonly sold as
    catalog kits. They are necessary especially in the mountains due to
    our very short growing season. It seems paradoxical that Boulder
    County would encourage reducing individual carbon footprints by
    purchasing locally grown food but put this barrier to year-round home
    food production.

2. Specific to adding Home Events to Zoning District Regulations –
    Art. 4-100, I still believe regulation of Home Events is unnecessary
    given existing nuisance laws. Section 2. 30-11-101, Colorado Revised
    Statutes offers Boulder County a mechanism to shut down nuisance “home
    events” without establishing difficult to enforce and possibly
    unconstitutional home events regulations. I did not receive a
    response from Boulder County after bringing this up last October with
    the Commissioners.

---------- Forwarded Message -----------
To: Will Toor wtoor@bouldercounty.org, Cindy Domenico
cdomenico@bouldercounty.org, Ben Pearlman bpearlman@bouldercounty.org
Sent: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:24:07 -0600
Subject: Home Events L.U.C. no longer needed?

Dear Commissioners:

Last December, I brought to the attention of my State Representative
Claire Levy the need for Counties to have more power for noise
enforcement laws. I explained that the lack of County enforcement power
was a primary motivation for a Boulder County “home events” regulation.
Even though my living room concert series never had any noise,
parking, or traffic complaint there were other outdoor music events in
Boulder County that happened once or twice a year that generated
complaints. Boulder County Land Use was always able to stop these
events but Land Use Director Graham Billingsley said he needed more
enforcement code support. The primary justification for a “home events”
L.U.C. regulation was that the noise nuisance fine was too low for
repeated offenders.

I had a chance to speak to Representative Levy when she spoke to a
neighborhood gathering in my living room today. She thought Counties
had been granted greater powers regarding noise enforcement (not the
sensitivity threshold but fine power). She referred me to some on-line
documentation of bills that passed this last legislative session. The
following is my interpretation only as I am not speaking for Claire.

It appears the Colorado State legislature passed House Bill 08-1065 on
17 March 2008. It went into affect 05 August 2008. From my read of
this law it seems that Counties now have the right to have graduated
fines for repeated offenses. If Boulder County Land Use attorneys agree
it may be worth revisiting the home events regulation - my position has
always been that a specific activity has been regulated whereas it
should be the general activity impact regulated by nuisance laws. It
seems unfair to me that you can have as many private parties (political
or charity fund raisers, for example) as desired but the same impact
“home event” requires additional regulation. While I can live with the
newly adopted “home events” regulations I believe it sets a terrible
government intrusion precedence - unless it simply amended to indicate
activity acceptance into the L.U.C. subject to general nuisance laws.
It is my belief that Boulder County may someday face a challenge to this
regulation based upon Constitutional concerns. (Relax, it won’t be me
as I can’t afford the legal fees.)

Here’s the digest:

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/digest2008a/GOVERNMENTCOUNTY.htm#08-1065

APPROVED by Governor April 1, 2008
EFFECTIVE April 1, 2008

H.B. 08-1065 Ordinance enforcement - county noise abatement actions -
ordinance violation penalties - application of ordinances in designated
areas. Authorizes a county, with specified exceptions, to bring a civil
action to abate violations of the state noise abatement statute.
Authorizes a county to adopt penalty assessment procedures and graduated
fine schedules for specified violations.

Authorizes a board of county commissioners to designate areas in the
unincorporated territory of a county exclusively within which an
ordinance applies. Requires the board to set a rational basis for the
designation and hold a public hearing prior to making the designation.

APPROVED by Governor March 17, 2008
EFFECTIVE August 5, 2008
NOTE: This act was passed without a safety clause. For further
explanation concerning the effective date, see page vi of this digest.

Here’s the specific part of H.B. 08-1065 that I believe gives Counties
new authority.

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2008a/sl_28.htm

SECTION 2. 30-11-101, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE
ADDITION OF A NEW SUBSECTION to read:

30-11-101. Powers of counties. (2) Counties have the authority to
adopt and enforce ordinances and resolutions regarding health, safety,
and welfare issues as otherwise prescribed by law. In addition to any
other enforcement or collection method authorized by law, if a county
passes an ordinance or resolution of which a violation would be a class
2 petty offense, the county may elect to apply the penalty assessment
procedure set forth in section 16-2-201, C.R.S., and may adopt a
graduated fine schedule for multiple offenses. If a specified offense
would be an unclassified misdemeanor, a county may elect to downgrade
the offense to a class 2 petty offense and apply the penalty assessment
procedure under circumstances deemed appropriate and prescribed by the
county in an ordinance or resolution.

I respectfully request that Boulder County evaluate the impact of H.B.
08-1065 and revise the current Boulder County nuisance regulations
regarding graduated noise fines. Once that County noise ordinances have
more teeth, I would like the County to consider modifying or dropping
the “home events” regulation from the L.U.C. as the impact is no greater
than any other private event governed by nuisance laws. I would be fine
with legal protection via inclusion in the list of acceptable zoning
activities but I do not believe any other restriction should apply since
general nuisance laws cover all private activities.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

greg

Greg Ching
P.O. Box 372
Nederland, CO 8046
------- End of Forwarded Message -------

Respectfully,

greg

Greg Ching
Aspen Meadows House Concerts
www.aspenmeadowshc.org

gregmching@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregmching

http://www.bettpadgett.com/houseconcerts/updates.htm

I spoke to the host last fall. Eerily similar to what took place here
in Boulder County…

Yeah you think it would be easier. I mean really it’s your house, hua?

:flower

Yeah ya think it would be easier. I love small venues. The way live music should be enjoyed :medal