Here's what to expect as a Town Park Noob!

I posted this in the Town Park Virgin thread but it is 80 pages long so …
Also a Newbie here… :thumbsup
We (5 of us) are flying in the Saturday before the fest from Florida so we have to buy some gear at Walmart in Montrose but also figure out the “Land Rush” deal with claiming a camping spot in Town Park.
Our group wants to do some hiking before the fest and we are not camping just yet, so if we lay down a tarp, how likely is it that it will remain “our spot” when we start camping on Thursday?
It all sounds so overwhelming just to have a spot for our weary bodies to sleep at night! I’m guessing we should set our tent up and ask our neighbors to keep an eye out for it.
It sounds like there is no place to charge cell phones, correct?
Tarps to claim ground, are they the things to have to sit on to enjoy the music and not camp chairs, is that correct? Tarps by the stage, chairs in back? How about hammocks? What are the limits on chair heights, chair locations etc.?
We don’t plan on cooking other than making morning coffee, is it possible to purchase breakfast, lunch and dinner on the festival grounds? Can I bring beverages into the festival from my camp site?
Flying in from Florida is quite limiting since we can’t fly Southwest like we have done in the past for backpacking and no baggage fees. United wants $30/bag and NO carryon, what a crock of shit! Anyway, we are going to need to ship stuff in, I read the Post Office will hold packages, does anyone know if that is still true?
Another thing about coming from Florida, we are literally at 12’ above sea level and we’re going to 10,000’? How does one adjust for that and is there medical (I’m sure there is) for altitude sickness?
I may have more questions later, these are just my OCD ones for now!

p.s. thank you to the person that posted the packing list! I’m glad to see condoms were on the list. :wink:
p.s.s. thank you to the person that started this thread, I can’t find your name while I’m typing this. There ought to be a way to search for topics. Let me know if there is a way.

Welcome!

if we lay down a tarp, how likely is it that it will remain "our spot" when we start camping on Thursday? It all sounds so overwhelming just to have a spot for our weary bodies to sleep at night! I'm guessing we should set our tent up and ask our neighbors to keep an eye out for it.

This is exactly what I’d do if I were in your shoes. Getting a tent put up is much less likely to be messed with than a tarp. Especially if you haven’t had time to get tight with your neighbors yet.

It sounds like there is no place to charge cell phones, correct?
There are a few places to charge up. Herzog (interior and exterior), by the bath house, or in town (short walk).
Tarps to claim ground, are they the things to have to sit on to enjoy the music and not camp chairs, is that correct? Tarps by the stage, chairs in back? How about hammocks? What are the limits on chair heights, chair locations etc.?
Low back chairs in front of the sound towers (a basketball cannot fit under them), high back chairs behind that. I'm not sure I've seen many hammocks - you'd need a stand and you'd have to be in the back back section - by the shade tents. There's already a problem with Kelty tents obscuring the view and I feel like a hammock would only further worsen this problem. I have seen plenty of those inflatable hammocks that go on the ground. I see now problem with those!
We don't plan on cooking other than making morning coffee, is it possible to purchase breakfast, lunch and dinner on the festival grounds? Can I bring beverages into the festival from my camp site?
You may want to read the main post here as it addresses most of these questions: http://www.festivarian.com/index.php/topic,31794.0.html

You can bring beverages in, but not alcoholic ones. Beer/cocktails/wine are sold inside the festival.

I read the Post Office will hold packages, does anyone know if that is still true?
Not sure about this one
Another thing about coming from Florida, we are literally at 12' above sea level and we're going to 10,000'? How does one adjust for that and is there medical (I'm sure there is) for altitude sickness?
The key is hydration and taking it easy. Don't expect to come from sea level and party like you do back home - you'd probably have a rough time. Furthermore, Colorado is DRY so definitely bring water bottles/jugs for your whole crew. Your hiking plans sound fun but I'd definitely make sure they're very easy hikes.

I’ve heard of Diamox helping but I haven’t personally taken it.

p.s.s. thank you to the person that started this thread, I can't find your name while I'm typing this. There ought to be a way to search for topics. Let me know if there is a way.

You’re welcome! Let me know if I can help in any other way. As for searching the forums, try this: http://www.festivarian.com/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=

Culasthewiz wrote: “There’s already a problem with Kelty tents obscuring the view”. That’s worrisome as I just purchased a Kelty Sunshade for use at the TBF. I don’t want to offend other festivarians by putting this up. What is the etiquette regarding use of these structures? Thanks!

1 Like

No it is fine, there are plenty of these. The only issue is if you dont get a front row spot, it is unlikely you will be able to see the stage due to other Kelty’s blocking your view.

Good question. The problem with Keltys (in my opinion) is that they are so low that they obstruct views for people set up behind them. This is not necessarily the fault of the owners of these tents but perhaps an area of improvement for Planet Bluegrass’ management of the tent areas. In a perfect world, I’d like to see EZups in their own section (or given priority toward the front?) because they’re tall enough that folks behind them can see right through to the main stage. However, it’s far enough back that you can’t really see a lot anyway so maybe it’s not as big of a deal as I’m making it out to be.

So to answer your question, just be mindful of where you set it up and do your best to be a good Festivarian by accommodating your neighbors.

It is strange being that Kelty is a sponsor and vendor at TBF, you’d think they might design a festival specific sunshade. Easy ups are nice also because they can be joined together with others to form a continuous area of shade.

Totally agree! Moreso the straight leg ones. Angled leg versions don’t work too well for this.

Are camp fires allowed in Town Park Campground?

Wood fires are not allowed in TP. However, propane fueled cooking and warming devices are allowed. Charcoal is okay, but only in the pre-established grills. Please be responsible when using these.

Might anyone have some idea about into what the traffic is like leaving town on Monday after the festival? Is it so bad as to make it worth hanging back to leave in the afternoon? Thanks in advance for your insights!

We usually get done packing and head out around 10am or so and, while there’s a little bit of traffic as you leave town, it’s not bad at all.

1 Like

the saddest day of the year…

1 Like

Thank you!

Not just rum. There are MANY kinds of liquor in it, whatever people bring to throw in. And Tom, I’ve seen your “small” cup, the 20 oz red Solo cup! LOL

1 Like

still not sure how anyone makes it out of there before 1 on Mon, even with pre-leaving-breakdown.

Hi friends,

Have been in Lawson the past couple years. This will be our first TP experience and couldn’t be more excited. We have a larger group (18 people), but 3-4 of us coming in early Monday morning to set up camp. What can I expect in terms of space? Will there be anything left for a group that size in Bear Creek, or will primitive be our best bet? Thanks.

:cheers

:wave
It would be better if you could have someone throw some tarps during land rush on Sat. A group that large might require some effort later in the week.

:peace

That’s a big group to try and score land for and, of course, depends on the size tents you all have. Come in Monday, scout both options, and at least throw down space for your base/group area and your personal tent. Camp Run-A-Muck’s rule is: we will throw as many tarps as there is space for, but it’s first come first serve. Some late comers may have to find spots further away from your base. It’s great that you are willing to try and hold spots for friends, but it can also be a lot of stress/annoyance with that duty. Good luck!!

Thanks Hippie and Hooch!

Unfortunately Monday is the earliest any of us can get there, so land rush won’t work. We are going to have 5-6 tents plus the base tent. I think we may get roped into just setting all of them up when we arrive…

Oh well, maybe it’ll get us out of some of the break-down duties the following Monday :lol

Counting down the days!!

:cheers

Definitely make the late comers tear down on Monday!!!